Home             About Me             My Blog             My Books             Contact Me                                                              

My Review for The Story Keeper by Lisa Wingate

Review for The Story Keeper by Lisa Wingate
The poetry and drama in The Story Keeper kept me turning the pages late into the night. At 75, I don’t DO late nights often anymore. However, the beauty of Ms. Wingate’s writing kept my love of story revved up long after my usual bedtime.
In The Story Keeper, you have two novels, and two love stories—one in a historical account and one in the present. Well, actually three love stories, if you count the love between five sisters who have been separated for many years through distance and culture. Four of them remained ‘home’ in Appalachia, bound by backwoods culture and the power of a supposedly Christian sect. The fifith sister escapes to New York City and a modern lifestyle in publishing that she loves, but which she finds curiously unsatisfying to her love of family and love of God.
At first, the title seemed mediocre. However, by the end of the novel, I could see how it fit.
I learned more about Appalachia in this novel than in all my college history and sociology classes. It’s an intriguing setting that I will want to visit again and again in Lisa Wingate’s novels.
Had I bought the paperback version, this novel would be placed on my classics shelf. A total winner!

0 comments:

Post a Comment